The Right Choice
Although several reliable international companies are serving our country, the choice of a reliable Greek company is recommended, because the autologous transplants which are cryo-preserved should not be jaded by air-transport (cosmic radiation, possible temperature flunctuations or long delays the airports) and should be near the user when they are needed. Stem cells must be cryo-preserved as soon as possible after their collection in order to preserve their biological value.
Concerning the choice of company for the preservation of umbilical cord stem cells for their child, the expectant parents should take under consideration the following factors:
- The company form commit long-term presentation and stability (S.A)
- The responsible scientists should have long-term experience in the field of cells culture and to participate with majority in the company cast.
- The labs must be accredited, as medical laboratories, by an International Accreditation System, as AABB and ISO 15189.
- The company should be certified by ISO 9001 and be inspected at least twice a year.
- The company’s labs should be in a place where the expectant parents can visit.
- The expectant parents should be able to communicate directly with the responsible scientists of the company and not with representatives.
- In the protocol of processing which is applied, most of erythrocytes should be kept as far as it is possible eliminated and all the nucleated cells as well as the leucocytes.
- For the quality check of the autologous reagents and equipment certified for clinical use, should be used.
- The autologous transplants should be kept in stable temperature (-1960 C) in the liquid nitrogen and not in vapour of liquid nitrogen in fluctuant temperatures.
- The company must function according to medical ethics and responsibilities.
Biohellenika recommends to the expectant parents, before they choose a company for the cryo-preservation of the valuable graft of their child, to visit for their information independent web-sites, especially the ones which are set by parents or unions of parents internationally, as: